[dokuwiki] Re: GSoC 2011 - Michael Hamann - MediaRevisions

  • From: "Kate Arzamastseva" <pshns@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Michael Hamann" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 22:12:18 +0200

Hi Michael,

Excerpts from Michael 's message of Tue, 22 Mar 2011 00:00:15 +0100:

> > At the GSoC:ideas page I saw an idea about "mediarevisions" and I'm
> > interested
> > in this issue. I think that this task includes the following:
> >
> >  - development of the repository (storage) for media files,
>
> How exactly do you want to store the revisions? I think taking the
> existing media directory and simply adding a media_attic directory like
> the one we currently have for pages should be enough.

I wanted to say that I have an idea to make some storage system that
will help to save changed media files. It will help to avoid duplication
in code. UI will use this system to upload, download, get revisions, get
list of media files, etc. How it will store files on the disk will be
decided inside the storage class. For example adding a media_attic directory
where old revisions of files will be kept (like we have for pages).

> >  - UI to view (download) file of any revision, list of revisions for each
> > file.
>
> Something like the one we currently have for old revisions of a page? Or
> how should it look like?

Yes, something like that. But I think that radio-inputs instead of
checkboxes will be more usable in this case.

> >  - detect duplicates in storage while uploading new file and don't
> > duplicate
> > it
> > physically.
>
> That sounds quite complicated. How exactly should that storage look
> like? The problem is that it needs to work on different platforms
> (Windows, Linux, ...) and it should be simple. The really simple storage
> that can even be used without DokuWiki is one of the key features of
> DokuWiki that should be kept.

I have an idea to keep list of hashes (md5_file()) of all media files. And
check hash of new file while uploading new file. I'm thinking about the
realization of this idea according to keep the storage simple.

> > I think that the UI of file updating can be placed directly on the page
> > where we can view information about this file. There can be displayed a
> > list
> > of revisions, and the file of each revision can be downloaded.
>
> Okay, and do you want to keep the media manager we currently have for
> uploading files and inserting links and images, into pages, too? Imho
> the difficult question is really how much functionality should be
> duplicated or how we can create two different UIs that fulfill different
> needs.

The current media manager is usable for uploading new files. But it's not so
for updating files. When you click to view file information in filemanager
or in wikipage - the following page opens:
/lib/exe/detail.php?id=start&media=chewing_gum_sidewalk.jpg
On this page I'll add upload form, list of revisions, diff button, etc.

> Some additional questions:
> - do you want to include media changes in the changes view?

Yes, as option. I'll add checkbox-filter to "recent changes" like
"show wiki changes, show media changes".

> - where should these pages with old revisions etc. be linked?

It's an interesting question. Do you mean viewing the page with the old
mediafile in it? Or modification of tag {{:chewing_gum_sidewalk.jpg|}}
to {{:chewing_gum_sidewalk.jpg@rev|}} ?

Regards,
Kate