[dokuwiki] Re: GSoC 2011 - Michael Hamann - MediaRevisions

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:20:16 +0100

Hi,

> I have an idea to keep list of hashes (md5_file()) of all media files. And
> check hash of new file while uploading new file. I'm thinking about the
> realization of this idea according to keep the storage simple.

This would complicate adding new files from the file system as the md5
database would need updating. I'd like to keep the system a simple as
possible. If someone is concerned about duplicates he could run one of
the many deduping tools available for Linux (and other OSes probably
too).

> The current media manager is usable for uploading new files. But it's not so
> for updating files. When you click to view file information in filemanager
> or in wikipage - the following page opens:
> /lib/exe/detail.php?id=start&media=chewing_gum_sidewalk.jpg
> On this page I'll add upload form, list of revisions, diff button, etc.

Images are not always linked to the detail page (?nolink option or
when wrapping the image in a link). This page should be accessible
from the media popup then.

Or maybe we should have a full screen (as opposed to the popup) media
manager with old revisions and a minimal popup for inserting and quick
uploading files? It might make sense to have a look at how other Wiki
and CMS engines handle that to have some inspiration...

>> Some additional questions:
>> - do you want to include media changes in the changes view?
>
> Yes, as option. I'll add checkbox-filter to "recent changes" like
> "show wiki changes, show media changes".

I'd like a third option: "both". That should be default IMHO.

> It's an interesting question. Do you mean viewing the page with the old
> mediafile in it? Or modification of tag {{:chewing_gum_sidewalk.jpg|}}
> to {{:chewing_gum_sidewalk.jpg@rev|}} ?

I don't think we need that.

There's one more thing we haven't talked about: diffs. As soon as we
have revisions, we also need a way to see differences. This should be
implemented in a way that is easily extendible by plugins. By default
I'd only implement something for images. Github just recently added
some pretty nifty features for image diffs:
https://github.com/blog/817-behold-image-view-modes - I think at least
the onion skin thingy should be easy to implement using the CSS
opacity method. We'd also need a way to compare the image metadata
(EXIF).

splitbrain.org