[dokuwiki] Re: Embrace the new default template

  • From: Anika Henke <anika@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:28:00 +0000

On 06/02/2012 07:34, Esther Brunner wrote:
Contrary to the view expressed by Myron and
Thomas I think the main content column on dokuwiki.org is rather too
wide with up to 120 chars per line.

Thanks, I agree.
The initial width was actually a bit less wide...

* In Clarence's original design it was the standard 960px.
* I first changed it to be 72em (= 1008px*), so that the whole page would fit comfortably on a 1024 screen. Although the inner width was 928px* wide (= 72x12 - 2x40). * Andi then asked if we should make it wider [https://github.com/MrClow/dokuwiki-template-2011/issues/45]. He suggested 85em, which I found much too wide (mainly because of readability issues). But I increased it a bit to be 75em now (= 1050px*; inner width = 970px*). The main reason for that was that otherwise handling the media manager is problematic in narrower sizes and it's in general still okay like that.

I think the problem that most people are having with the width is not that it is not wide enough in general. It's that they were used to a wider (because flexible) layout before and put in content in a way that made use of that available space. We should re-visit certain page layouts on a page by page basis and change them if necessary.

The only real problem is big tables. I just had an idea how to solve that: The current solution is to make each table scrollable if it gets too big. But additional to that we could show each table in full width (expanding over the border of the page) when hovering over them. (The same could be done to the other generally partly hidden component: code blocks.)

Cheers,
Anika

* if viewed with default browser options