[ddots-l] Re: Odd behavior

  • From: "Mike Tyo" <mtyo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 22:57:28 -0400

Hi Jim,

It's hard to tell exactly what could've happened based on your description. Are
you on a Windows 7 machine using the latest version of CakeTalking? Are you
running the 64-bit version of Sonar? What were you doing at the time everything
froze up? Do you know if Sonar tried to create a crash dump file? From your
message, it sounds like Sonar didn't "crash"; obviously something happened
along the way. You said you couldn't quit JAWS either. I've never tried to do
that while running Sonar. All of the crashes and freezes I've experienced were
such that I had to shutdown the machine via the power button and restart from
scratch. That's definitely not a good thing, but there wasn't any other way to
do it.

These experiences happened on my 32-bit XP Professional machine, and they
occurred when I attempted to scrub in the track pane with a control surface or
with the CakeTalking keystrokes. Since I just got my Windows 7 64-bit system
on-line, I haven't had the chance to get into a big project to see if these
things will happen. I avoided scrubbing in the track pane on the old machine;
but I could do it in the clips pane okay. I don't know if that was fixed in the
64-bit version of Sonar. I read sometime back on this list that there was a
.dll file responsible for that problem. If it's the same file that's carried
over to the 64-bit version, then I guess the problem's not fixed.

The only other problem I had was when I opened the program browser in Dimension
Pro, it froze; but it happened only one time. It might have been a CakeTalking
situation at that point; but I made sure I kept up with the updates. That could
explain why I didn't have a repeat on that particular crash. I believe there's
a gentleman on the list who's had problems with the FW1884; I sure hope you
aren't another one who is, but since it was discussed, you can't rule that one
out.

Other than that, I'm not sure what happened in your case. Sorry I can't be of
more help to you; I'm interested in knowing more though so we might be able to
offer additional ideas.

Mike