[softwarelist] Re: pre-press checking for DPI of pictures

  • From: Jhr JMAH van Vredenburch <janvredenburch@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:52:53 +0200

In message <6399e22c51.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Jim Nagel <opro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> my albatross book (which i've previously moaned about in Archive etc)
> is with the printer at last.  i've just had a report back (groan)
> saying a hardcopy laserproof is on its way to me by post:

>      We need to make you aware that our Pre-Press checking
>      software has identified that many of the illustrations in
>      the book are below the recommend resolution of 300 dpi. This
>      will not be apparent on the proof, but I need to draw it to
>      your attention.

> does an OPro applet exists that would go through my file and report
> (perhaps in list form) the resolution of pictures?

> there must be a couple of hundred of them, and i can't bear the
> prospect of checking them all manually.

I do not believe such an applet exists at present. But....

Presuming you have all the pictures as jpegs's in a "Pictures"
directory there is an easy way to insure all pictures are at 300dpi
before importing them to the OP document. For this you need !Jsize. It
lets you drag jpeg selections for batch writing of new density
settings.

--
Greetings,
JohnvV