[softwarelist] Re: pre-press checking for DPI of pictures

  • From: "Gerald Chat" <gerald.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:52:12 +0100

On Friday, June 25, 2010 12:26 PM,
 Jim Nagel <opro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> my albatross book (which i've previously moaned about in Archive etc)
> is with the printer at last.  i've just had a report back (groan)
> saying a hardcopy laserproof is on its way to me by post:
>
>      We need to make you aware that our Pre-Press checking
>      software has identified that many of the illustrations in
>      the book are below the recommend resolution of 300 dpi. This
>      will not be apparent on the proof, but I need to draw it to
>      your attention.

It occurs to me that you have sent a PDF and not an OvPro file to your
printer?

(Yes. That's a question.)

If so then it may be that all you need to do is to recreate the PDF file
from the OvPro file but with a 300 DPI setting for your pictures. For
example, I use Acrobat Distiller (to distil a PD file) and my default
setting is 150 dpi for images but this can be altered very easily.

Perhaps you can tell us a bit more about what you've done and how.

For example did you use RISC OS or Windows?
Did you Print to PDF from RISC OS or Windows?
Do you know exactly what options you have (with regards DPI) when printing
the PDF?

For example:

When I Print to PDF (from Windows) for general use this 'Printer' creates a
PDF using my Adobe Distiller with the settings I have created under the name
'Gerald'. However, there are other settings which I can switch to including
a setting called "High Quality" which, by default, is 300 dpi.

This all leads me to believe that your images (before the creation of the
PDF) are probably of a high enough resolution but that your 'problem' lies
with the manner in which you have created the PDF (viz using a lower than
300 dpi).

Anyway, please let us know what software you use to do what to the OvPro
document before it goes to the printer.

Gerald