[softwarelist] Re: pre-press checking for DPI of pictures

  • From: "Gerald Chat" <gerald.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:54:12 +0100

On Friday, June 25, 2010 12:26 PM,
 Jim Nagel <opro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> my albatross book (which i've previously moaned about in Archive etc)
> is with the printer at last.  i've just had a report back (groan)
> saying a hardcopy laserproof is on its way to me by post:
>
>      We need to make you aware that our Pre-Press checking
>      software has identified that many of the illustrations in
>      the book are below the recommend resolution of 300 dpi. This
>      will not be apparent on the proof, but I need to draw it to
>      your attention.

Is there any chance that your publisher could give you the list of
'defective' pictures in a form that you can identify easily (eg file names)?

There are many ways of increasing the 'dpi settings' and I have no doubt
that if you gave me access (eg a URL where I could find them) to all the
pictures you want 'improving', then I could do that as one huge batch using
software I have here.

Alternatively if you gave me access to all the pictures (I guess that the
total is less than 0.8 GB so you could send me a CD) I would batch process
the 200 (or so) such that every single one of them returned 300 dpi (or a
bit more if you wanted that) to the interrogating software (I guess it
checks the eXif data). Then 'all' you would have to do would be to relink
them all somehow back into the (no doubt huge) OvPro document.

If I can help you get this Albatross from around your neck then it is to my
personal advantage because then you'll be able to get back to publishing
that superb magazine called Archive! I am not familiar enough with OvPro to
do anything really clever (such as 're-linking' in a batch type way) but I
can do 'clever things' with pictures (sometimes).

Gerald