[softwarelist] Re: pre-press checking for DPI of pictures

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:35:34 +0100

In message <6399e22c51.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Nagel <opro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

my albatross book (which i've previously moaned about in Archive etc)
    We need to make you aware that our Pre-Press checking
    software has identified that many of the illustrations in
    the book are below the recommend resolution of 300 dpi. This
    will not be apparent on the proof, but I need to draw it to
    your attention.

Presumably this is a matter of absolutes, the pre-press software looks at how many pixels the image it receives has and how large an area those pixels are painted over and on that basis decides if the resolution is high enough or not.

I don't think there is an applet to do the work. Various things come close. For example the picture info box shows you what the final resolution of images is. There is a pre-press applet which could be extended.

Does your print shop's program not give a list of the illustrations that are problematical?