[softwarelist] Re: pdf-import

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 22:17:00 +0100

In message <gemini.j7r7fa005lwio06oz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Pettigrew <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

True. For example, KWrite (the word-processor in the KOffice suite) does a
fairly respectable job of importing PDFs in an editable way. It maintains text
stories and rough placement, as well as font formatting. I've used it to
rescue documents sent to clients by authors as PDFs only.

Adobe reader 7.0 has a "Save as Text" option on the File menu (or you can mark text with the select tool and copy to the clipboard). You can also configure various ways of working out where the text is.

I've seen files where this facility just returns junk (and so does GhostScript) - any ideas why this happens?

-- David Pilling email: david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx web: http://www.davidpilling.net post: David Pilling P.O. Box 22 Thornton Cleveleys Blackpool. FY5 1LR UK fax: +44(0)870-0520-941