[softwarelist] Re: pdf-import

  • From: Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 21:38:09 +0100

David Pilling wrote:

In message <453E9340.6000104@xxxxxxxx>, Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx> writes
That works ... but the result here is a very low resolution bitmap image. The necessary filters and applets appear to be installed, so what could I be doing wrong?

The way the PDF filter works is to use GhostScript (or similar) to take the PDF file and produce from it a PostScript file and a bitmap preview image (as a TIFF) these are then glued together to form a standard EPS file. For display within OP the bitmap is used and for printing the PostScript.

For the PostScript version to be used for printing you need to have a PostScript printer and for OP to be configured with Direct PS active. If the PostScript can't be used then the bitmap will also be used for printing.

You have control over how high the resolution of the bitmap is, through command lines in the file: transpdf.txt

Thanks for that explanation. Things are now much clearer ...

However, one thing puzzles me. In an earlier email to the list you hinted that in a future release of OPW there might be the facility to import a PDF document and edit it using Ovation Pro. How would that work? Presumably not on the preview bitmap?
--
CB