[softwarelist] Re: pdf-import

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 12:07:09 +0100

In message <gemini.j7sdx1001f18600ak.ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ray Dawson <ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

I've seen files where this facility just returns junk (and so does
GhostScript) - any ideas why this happens?
Because the page has been imported as a graphic?
I've had this a couple of times, for that reason.

I don't think so. For one thing it is possible to select text at the character level, secondly text is saved - I guess Adobe would be smart enough to not save out a graphic as text anyway. The PDF is also not encrypted or security protected.

One idea is that the document has been prepared using a font with a strange encoding and the encoding has not been put into the PDF.

Or maybe it is using a range of Unicode which standard fonts do not support.

-- David Pilling email: david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx web: http://www.davidpilling.net post: David Pilling P.O. Box 22 Thornton Cleveleys Blackpool. FY5 1LR UK fax: +44(0)870-0520-941