[softwarelist] Re: "Save As" button in OPW 2.92 (17 August 06)

  • From: Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 12:23:38 +0100

David Pilling wrote:

In message <4542861C.1080604@xxxxxxxx>, Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx> writes
After a scan ... 45 seconds to Save Frame As
Now, I notice I get the a similarly slow Save As response from MSWORD.

What can happen with Windows is that it has a list of visited folders and some of those no longer exist (e.g. on a network) there is then a long delay whilst it attempts to look at them.

It's possible that was the problem ... my home computer is linked into the University of Edinburgh network via Cisco's VPN Client, but the folders I was attempting to save to are on my local C_drive.

Anyway, after switching on the computer this morning, I notice that File>Save As from OPW and MSWORD is working normally. But, I'm afraid the Save As button in OPW still won't work. No doubt the cause is some interaction within WinXP. Tho' I'm mystified as to what it can be. Everything else seems to be working perfectly.

There's always the possibility of a hardware fault, I suppose --- it's a fairly old motherboard, with a lot of stuff plugged into it. The reason I did a complete Windows reinstall a couple of weeks ago was to cure the dreaded blue screen on boot-up with a Bugcode_USBdriver error. I think I've now tracked down that problem to a malfunctioning Sweex multipanel (card reader/USB/firewire combo), which has now been removed from the computer.

I may replace the computer in a few weeks, which will mean reinstalling all my software (not something I look forward to). In the meantime, if anybody has an ideas on why the Save As button won't work in OPW ...?
--
CB