[softwarelist] Re: OPW - Font list, XP vs Vista (32-bit)

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 21:11:13 +0000

In message <47D2D5AB.9030403@xxxxxxxx>, Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx> writes

Linotype, Vivaldi, Wide Latin). On the XP machine, Font List correctly reports:
Wide Latin
Times New Roman
Times New Roman Italic
Vivaldi Italic
Palatino Linotype
Times New Roman Bold

On the Vista machine, Font List gives the same list as with the previous document:
After.Johnston.Italic
After.Johnston.Bold.Italic
Technical.Bold.Oblique
Trinity.Medium
Plantin.Bold

Apart from Trinity, none of these fonts appears to exist in
Windows>Fonts ... or, of course, in the OPW font menu.

Sorry to be a pest, but is there something I'm overlooking here?

Lets try a different way of thinking about this. FontList works by looking at the fonts in the saved version of the file and writing them to another text file created inside the applet which it finally runs.

If OPW can't create that text file - say because you've write protected the existing file, then every time you run the applet the old file on disc will be run.

It seems to me you're getting the same result every time - fonts like "After.Johnston" seem unusual.

So that's my guess on Vista either some specific files are write protected or the whole applets folder is.

I'm not sure off hand how good practice it is to create files inside the applets folder, rather than in a dedicated temporary file.