[softwarelist] Re: Nested lists

  • From: Andy.Ling@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 14:20:44 +0100

> >There doesn't seem to be a way of "restarting" the auto numbering
> >without having a line with auto numbering turned off.
>
> >Any thoughts?
>
> Arrgh.
>
> Or these auto numbering things are hard to grasp.

Well, maybe. So try a simple test.....

Open a new document and paste this text into it :-

first paragraph
second paragraph
third paragraph

        first sub paragraph
        second sub paragraph
        third sub paragraph

fourth paragraph
fifth paragraph

Now select the first three lines (up to the end of the third line not
on to the next blank line) and add an auto number starting at 1
Next select the three sub paragraph lines and add an auto number starting
at 1 style abc/n.n... Finally select the last three lines and add an auto
number starting at 4. What I get is :-

1.      first paragraph
2.      second paragraph
3.      third paragraph

d.              first sub paragraph
e.              second sub paragraph
f.              third sub paragraph

7.      fourth paragraph
8.      fifth paragraph

This doesn't seem right.

If I go back to the first blank line and turn on auto number then turn it
off, things change. Still not quite right though.

This is all with OPW in case that makes a difference.

I haven't managed to get the n.n format to work, but I might still be
doing
something wrong.

Andy Ling