[softwarelist] Re: Layout sheet

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:18:31 +0100

In message <4ea631eda6louie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Louie <louie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <4ea607976cgav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Gavin Crawford <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [Snip]
>
>> EPS? How are you creating these EPS files from the PostScript output -
>> what program(s) are you using? And why not just use the PostScript
>> output created by !Printers?
>
> I am printing the files to postscript from !Printers. I then load them to
> view them using ghostview. The last printer wanted only PDF which resulted
> in the atrocious quality of printing, as they could not separate the plates
> properly

"Atrocious print quality" has nothing to do with PDF as opposed to any
other format. Unless of course you make a mess when converting to PDF.
You really need to know which options to use to retain print quality.
The default options when converting to PDF often lead to a significant
quality loss.

> or could see the images correctly due to internal layering within
> the files.

Internal layering? That does not really mean anything. But maybe what
they mean is that images are split into countless smaller objects that
are overlaid. That is the result of you using images with 256 colours
or less, which you should avoid at all cost when using the RISC OS
PostScript driver. In fact that is one of the main things the proposed
PostScript 3 driver will address.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner          MW Software          martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx