[softwarelist] Layout sheet

  • From: Louie <louie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:14:42 +0000 (GMT)

Hello

I wonder if someone can help me with a few problems I have;

1. I need to produce a layout sheet for the printers so that they can
verify each page in turn and their order. I'll describe the ideal layout of
the layout sheet to you, as I can't very well draw you a picture.

It needs to have two columns of thumbnails running down the center of the
page. These thumbnails are thumbnails of pages of the magazine as if it
were a booklet opened out. For example, the cover (called for this purpose
page 1) of a booklet, would appear in the top row, right hand side. This
would leave the thumbnail on this row on the left hand side empty. The
following center spread (pages 2 and 3) would appear on the second row with
2 on the left hand side, and 3 on the right hand side. This pattern would
follow on.

Next to each thumbnail, there needs to be a box for which text can be input
by me about the specifics of that page, eg. whether it has bleed or not.

Then, underneath this text frame (but still next to the thumbnail) there
needs to be a box which contains that page number.

Now the whole point is that the sheet is symmetrical, so if you started to
look at the sheet from the left hand side, you would have a text frame with
a page number under it, next to this there is a thumbnail, then another
thumbnail, and then next to this a text frame with the page number
underneath it.

There should ideally be 8 thumbnails (4 rows) on a page.

Now here is the question, has any one got, can tell how me to do, or
(asking for the impossible!) write a program that would have this layout
inbuilt, so that I can drop mini pictures of the magazine pages into it,
but also, so that if I change something, like add a page, it will
automatically update the thumbnails to move correspondingly. i.e. I need it
kind of dynamic.

Ok that's question 1.

2. I'm really stupid, but I keep crashing Ovation pro. It keeps coming up
with "internal error type 5" or something like that. What am I doing wrong?

3. (This proves I'm stupid) I can't seem to be able to put pictures in
frames without taking loads of memory. So is there anyway to do this so
that it doesn't take loads of memory and so I can produce the whole
magazine in one document, rather than lots of chapters that have to be
'stuck together and hope the page numbers are correct?'

2. I have had another problem at the printers, this time saying that the
text is not actually black, and that it is appearing on all four CMYK
plates. I have checked the colours and the text is black, and I have
checked to see the composition of black, and it is 100% black with nothing
else in it. Yet it is still appearing on all 4 plates.

What have I done wrong?
Just so that you know, the pages I send are EPS files, where each page is
is printed to postscript individually.

HELP! I'm getting a lot of flak because the magazine is late, but being new
to the print industry I am learning on job, and I want to get it right- no
more black and white covers please!

I hope you can follow and understand, and ultimately help.

(A quick response to say that someone is looking at my questions would be
nice too, otherwise I'll spend all night waiting for a reply!)

Many thanks

Louie Smith