[softwarelist] Re: Importing TIFFs into OPW

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 23:13:10 +0100

What causes the warnings

TIFF files contain tags (that is what the T stands for). No one understands or knows what every single tag represents. The warnings tell you that a tag which is not understood has been seen.

Usually this will do no harm.

-- is this expected behaviour with TIFF files?

Yes.

I find I can save the pictures (line art) out of OPW as Draw files and get round the "warnings" problem, but the files are just as big (if not bigger) as the original TIFFs.

As expected. When you drop a TIFF file into a frame it is converted into a sprite in a Draw file.

1GB physical, 1535 MB virtual (set by Win XP) -- should I increase it? And if so, by how much?

Sounds like plenty. It really depends what else you want to run at the same time as OP.

From what you say below, if I increase it to 3GB, as things stand OPW will only be able to use up to 2GB (?)
Is there a website that explains how to do this?

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

In an ideal world, perhaps ... But does it do what it says on the box? 32-bit Windows is supposed to address 4GB of physical memory and my motherboard has a capacity of 3GB, but if I install more than 1GB the whole system collapses :(

32 bits gives you a 4GB address space. Usually this is split 2GB for Windows and 2GB for the application.

By setting a switch when Windows boots you can change this to 1GB for Windows (with potentially a performance hit) and 3GB for apps.

This is address space. Actual memory is another matter.

There is another question, Windows does not allow any old app. to access 3GB because (shades of RISC OS) many don't like "negative addresses" i.e. addresses which have the top bit (bit 31) set.

I don't know at this instant if I have built OP with the necessary flags that tell Windows that it is 32 bit safe.

XP 64 does give you a much bigger address space. Presumably one day everyone (and everything) will move to 64 bits. However so far I've only done a 64 bit version of DPScan - and with no evidence that anyone has used it, I'm not in a hurry to undertake the conversion of OPW.