[softwarelist] Re: Importing TIFFs into OPW

  • From: Gavin Crawford <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 14:00:32 +0100

In article <44809B77.3020501@xxxxxxxx>,
   Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> They are 8bpp grayscale images, scanned at 1200dpi in Photoshop CS2.

Is there a need to use such big images? You said in a previous posting
that they were line art, if that is the case, then line art only needs
to be 1bpp (i.e. black and white). If the images are in fact 8bpp and
use more than 2 colours, then I doubt you need them at 1200dpi -
certainly not is that is the final output resolution.

I seems to me that you are using excessively large images than you need
to be using. Maybe you could say what the intended production method
is for this document? It helps to know how a job is to be printed so you
can make the correct judgement on image resolutions etc.

I know this is not really relevant to the discussion of the problems
with loading TIFFs but once it is clear how the job is being printed
people can give helpful suggestions as to what sizes the images need to
be.

--
Gavin Crawford
email: gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx