[softwarelist] Re: Importing TIFFs into OPW

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 18:13:01 +0100

The first is "unknown field with tag 700 (0x2bc) ignored". Clicking OK brings up a second message: "unknown field with tag 34665 (0x8769) ignored". This is a minor irritation ... until you try to reference pictures, and then whenever

I agree with this. I recently added a feature to DPScan for Windows that lets you turn off warnings. I will change the filter.

The second problem is do do with memory. I have an OPW document with about 20 TIFF pictures. Current file size is around 300 Mb.

Interesting. How much memory does your machine have - physical and virtual?

I have created OPW documents of 512MB.

There is another issue which is address space, on 32bit windows, typically an application can have only 2GB of address space. So even if your swop file is 4GB you will still hit this limit.

Memory and address space use is shared between all open documents and things like the clipboard, as well as other workspace. OPW also holds documents in a single block of memory - in other words fragmentation of the programs 2GB space may reduce what can actually be used.

It is possible to configure Windows to run with a 3GB address space for each application and this is becoming more common with the larger files around these days.

Long term solution of course is 64 bit Windows.

-- David Pilling email: david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx web: http://www.davidpilling.net post: David Pilling P.O. Box 22 Thornton Cleveleys Blackpool. FY5 1LR UK fax: +44(0)870-0520-941