[softwarelist] Re: Image display quality in DPlingscan

  • From: Dave Barnett <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 16:34:06 +0100

In a recent message           David Pilling
<flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <a9ba75944f.Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Barnett
> <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>>
>>As I sometimes use DPlingscan to change image file types or to change
>>the size or dpi., I would like a more instant view of what to expect.
>>Can I get a better image display?
>>
>>RPC-SA, RISC OS 4.39, RAM 128M, vRAM 1M.  DPlingScan 1.24.

> You get the best image quality by selecting the Magnify tool and
> clicking on "rational".

Thanks, I'll try that.

> All I can suggest as a quick check, is in DPScan (on RISC OS) use the
> Edit->Scale facility and set the destination to 90 dpi, you can undo out
> of this.

> With on screen display there is a trade off between how fast the display
> is and how good the quality. You can see that the DPScan scale function
> takes some time.

Indeed.

> JPEG being a "lossy" format can degrade your images, all other formats
> are "loss less" so you get out exactly what you put in.

Noticed that, I avoid it if at all possible.  If only sites offering
downloadable images of text would do the same.   I find PNG gives
reasonable compression and good quality.

Despite all that, a correspondent in OZ complimented me on the quality
of the software that I had used to scan a page of print with a small
font size.  I'll now go and have another try at scanning some family
trees that I found in an old book.  (Hint: Be careful not to trap the
edges of fragile pages between the glass and the edge of the scanner
frame.  I have tried to fill the gap on mine with varnish.)

--
Dave
Keep GMT all year