[softwarelist] Re: Image display quality in DPlingscan

  • From: "John Vanags" <john.vanags@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 20:34:03 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Cartmell" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:22 PM
Subject: [softwarelist] Re: Image display quality in DPlingscan

On 23 Apr, Dave Barnett <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In a recent message           Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message of 23 Apr, Dave Barnett <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>  I'll now go and have another try at scanning some family
>> trees that I found in an old book.

> I have taken several hints from a company, now dormant, called
> ArchiveCDBooks.  They scanned loads of old books, many with family
> trees. They achieved very readable and relatively small files using
> their overhead book scanner.  They probably had superior software to
> clean up the images.

They did indeed.  I have bought some of their CDs.  Somewhere on their
site they had a description of their process.  They did a
straightforward cleanup (that is an oxymoron in this context) and then
a selective expansion to overcome the curvature of the page at the
spine (custom software, I don't think it is released commercially).  A
searchable index was produced where the original pages were good
enough for OCR.

Better would have been to use a purpose-made scanner. I've only ever seen one
(at Manchester Metropolitan University library) and it has a perspex
right-angle edge. The book is placed on the right angle with one page flat
horizontal and the other dangling vertical. The scanner works to within a
couple of millimetres of the edge and the scanned page is completely flat - so
no distortion.

NB Scanner for photocopying - but the principle is the same.

The Plustek OptickBook 3600 enables fragile books to be scanned as described
above. This is a USB scanner with drivers for Windows.
The Birmingham Central Library (Archives & Heritage) had excellent facilities
for scanning books this way.

JV