[softwarelist] Re: CrossStar problem.

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:54:30 +0000

Hi,

In message <cf2c4d3952.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
I suppose I would try removing all my dictionaries and replacing them
That sounds like a lot of hard work!

Hmm. Well this is only temporary to see where the fault is.

Problem is that things can be set up in different ways. Dictionaries can be stored inside the applications, in a !Words folder or a !UserWords folder. You might have more than one !Words in which case it is not certain which one is the active one.

But in the simple case of you having just !Words, getting rid of the old dictionaries is as simple as renaming !Words to !OldWords.

Then copy a new !Words from e.g. your Ovation Pro CD, and then double click it to make it current.

I imagine someone clever saying "just copy a new !Words somewhere other than the existing one and then double click it".

Plan B, CrossStar has a Words->Load menu, which will let you control which dictionaries are loaded - that will also let you see if a particular dictionary is causing the trouble (have each one loaded in turn and see if the crash happens).

If you locate a problem dictionary then you have to recreate it, doesn't take long, menu over the word list, save, create dictionary, dump the file you just saved in to the word list.

The above is simple and you should not lose anything. But leave it until you have time.

I would be interested if anyone else has this problem on ARMv7, ARMini etc.

 post: David Pilling, P.O. Box 22, Thornton-Cleveleys, Blackpool. FY5 1LR. UK