[softwarelist] Re: CrossStar problem.

  • From: Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:52:45 GMT

On 28 Nov 2011  Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 28 Nov 2011  David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

>> Going back there were bugs that corrupted dictionaries.

> Yes, I had that once before, also with CrossStar, on the Iyo.

>> It is not a disaster, the programs let you export dictionaries as text
>> files, which can then be used to recreate dictionaries.

> I've just exported the text file from MainDict, which is the one I use
> in CrossStar; I've scanned through all of the "d" words in this, and
> can't find any obvious evidence of corruption. What sort of thing
> should I be looking for? And if I did merge this with the existing
> version (yes, I did RTFM!), wouldn't that just restore any corruption?

> I'm going to run out of time for most of the rest of today, but I'll
> keep an interested eye on this when I get time again.

Just had a thought. It looks as if CrossStar will crash when given any
word with an initial letter /d and after/! Immediately before the
start of the d letters I had Caeserean spelled with the ae ligature.
Could this conceivably have foxed CrossStar? If so, I may have to
search the text file for any other ligatures, which is certainly not a
task for today!

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter   \  /      zfc Lu     \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
and      \/ __            __  \                              England.