[dance-tech] Re: March-April Discussion forum on dance/performance and participation

  • From: Johannes Birringer <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 20:33:52 +0000

dear all

may I propose we continue our discussion until next Sunday, April 19, to
complete the month long debate
and test whether our old dance-tech list is alive and well?

I hope to encourage you to join, and reply and discuss: I have tried to
moderate but it is a little frustrating if the colleagues who have
posted do not return or others do no send a rejoinder or query or comment.....
The community, as shared discussion amongst all of us, is brought alive by you
and only if you do care to reply and sustain the discussion, as thought process.

and I am going back to something that John Collingswood had sent (below), which
is in synchrony with some other posts that dealt
with hybrid systems or participant systems and techniques, and when I mentioned
Simone Forti yesterday, and the exhibition
"Thinking with the body" -- I was in fact hoping that the topic of social
choreography and meta-choreography could be broached,
in many ways:

How did they (audiences) care to share stories, John?

How was the "MetabBody" forum at your location, Tommy?

I think Jaime del Val now will host a similar forum in California, soon
(International Metabody Forum at UC Berkeley.
May 7-9, 2015, an event with live performances, workshops, a panel : "Reversing
Cybernetics, Queering Control" , etc..)

Speaking of control, has anyone wanted to respond to the propositions by
Jeannette, Yacov, and Alexandre when they spoke about their work?

how does design, parameterization, capture, and hybridity / dis-alignment (one
aspect of Metabody project is the avenue that Robert Wechsler has pursued
working with disabilities and disability culture)
and thus 'controllers' relate to the subversion issue and the democratization
utopia (engaging audiences to become co-producers) of participation? what is
co-produced?

And lastly, how, to ask again, have we moved from stage performances to
something (if we draw a historical line via Simone Forti, Hélio Oiticiva, Lygia
Clark, Olafur Eliasson, Paul Chan, etc) that is environment, atmosphere and
object related such as, for example, the so-called "choreographic objects" that
were exhibited over the past few years (William Forsythe's 'choreographic
objects' come to mind, but is not Isaac Julien film installation a
choreographic object too, or Moholy-Nagy's kinetic works?)

what is a choreographic object, and can it be participatory (or has to be so)
and in what manner?

regards
Johannes Birringer

______________________________________
[John Collingswood schreibt]

this discussion is fascinating, thankyou to everyone who is contributing
examples of their work and information about their practice.

the idea of using technology to share the creative process with the
audience was the subject of a recent audience development research
project undertaken by myself as artist, Tanja Raman as choreographer
(together we are known as TaikaBox) and MOON - a digital design studio.

we created a hybrid system (choreographic/digital) that enables an
audience to become co-creators in a dance experiment. using a custom web
app, they share stories that become the source material for what happens
on stage. using a combination of improvisation, choreographic processes
and google, we guide them through the creation of movement sequences
based on their stories, soliciting their choices regarding how the
movement and environment develop. we relinquish a certain amount of
control over the creative process, and - hopefully - the audience feels
engaged, educated and stimulated by what they experience.

the project website is at http://www.pleaseswitchon.com/

one iteration of the research was a one-hour event performed
simultaneously for a studio audience, and online collaborators who were
presented with the same tools as the in-house audience. the online
experience is archived at http://stream.pleaseswitchon.com/

all the best,

John Collingswood
TaikaBox