[dance-tech] Re: March-April Discussion forum on dance/performance and participation

  • From: "Thomas F. DeFrantz" <t.defrantz@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 20:47:09 +0000

Jaime did terrific work at Duke with our students here. We have undergraduate
and graduate students interested in these areas of exploration. I become
frustrated on our list that so much of the discourse centers on creative work
and research, and so little seems to be concerned with teaching and encouraging
younger/emerging researchers/engineers/artists toward these areas of inquiry.
Surely most of our "audiences" are actually students of some sort (this would
be true in the USA at least), and a divide between creative craft and pedagogy
might be disingenuous.

In any case, the undergraduate students that Jaime lectured to/witnessed while
he was here build 'choreographic objects' that are purposed toward
storytelling, in this year's case, about environmental injustice and social
relationships to 'the natural.' the students work in groups to build an
Arduino-driven flower that responds to human interaction. now, for their final
project, they incorporate Kinect sensing with a patch written through the
Microsoft SDK to create a short performance that implicates the 'audience' in
the object and its motion. their final project involves 3-d printing,
arduinos, wii-motes, Isadora patches, Kinect interface, and prepared media. we
will create a video document of these, and I'll happily share it when it is
finished in a month or so.

for these students, the imperative to implicate passers-by or their peers into
the creation of these objects comes with the assignment. so here is a
generation of engineer-artists always already thinking about design in
relationship to use/interaction even as they create performance.

I wonder if assuming that social performance and interactive objects are the
beginning of possibilities, rather than an end, changes the discussion a bit.
these students think of choreographic objects as toys, of a sort, to be played
with toward the purpose of creating social awareness, and inspiring 'awe.'

all best, from durham, NC,

tommy

Thomas F. DeFrantz
Chair, DUKE African and African American Studies
Professor, DUKE DANCE, Theater Studies
Director, SLIPPAGE:Performance|Culture|Technology
Founding Director, Collegium for African Diaspora Dance