[dance-tech] Re: March-April Discussion forum on dance/performance and participation

  • From: Alexandre Achour <a.achour@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 18:40:31 +0200

Hello Johannes,

I understand your last comment, I’m not a theoretician myself, but these
paragraphs from Bojana, and Ana’s book help me to think of choreography as a
wider term that doesn’t necessarily limits itself to the design of movement,
they think of choreography as a design of procedures, and in this way
procedures « define actions and attitudes in general, which allows us to treat
them as a logic, a thinking model, an ideological apparatus. » And as Bojana
says, « Unpacking the aforementioned registers of procedurality may help us
understand what choreography means when it is used outside the strictly
artistic and aesthetic realm of dance/performance. » this is how I understand
this term of « expanded » choreography, and that’s why I thought to bring this
in our conversation..

Let me know what you think,

I had difficulties to answer to all the posts, when I have more time, I will
try..
Best wishes to all,
Alexandre Achour

Le 22 avr. 2015 à 13:25, Johannes Birringer <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
a écrit :

dear all
passing this on:

Moving Sites, Vicky Hunter (ed), Routledge, 2015
http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415710176​

I would like to draw your attention to a new book by Dr Vicky Hunter of the
University of Chichester. Moving Sites (Routledge) is a wonderfully rich
edited collection exploring site-specific dance performance from a range of
practical and theoretical angles. It draws on perspectives from spatial
theory, human geography, phenomenology and non-representational theory to
explore what this type of dance practice consists of and what it might reveal
regarding human processes of 'being-in-the-world'. I highly recommend this to
you and to your colleagues and students. To order the book follow the link
above which will take you to a discount code.

Regards
Jane Bacon
Professor, Dance and Somatics

[JB schreibt]

dear all
we have almost debated now for a month, as we approach the weekend, and I
want to thank everyone here for responding to the call for a discussion on a
thematic; please feel free to continue or change the course/direction,
someone else could take on the "moderation" for the next 4 weeks, yes?

As to Alexandre's last post -- while I do much appreciate your suggestions
regarding "expanded" and "social" choreography, your references to Bojana
Cveijc and Ana Vujanovic took me by surprise as
I had not really pondered the "relation between choreography and
proceduralism".

[...]