[cryptome] Scottish Independence?

  • From: doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 18:42:32 +0100

Dear Colleagues,

With the recent polls giving the "Yes to Independence" vote a small majority for the first time in the referendum on nationhood....which has shocked a number of their English "betters" and surprised the Scots Nats even more. I was just thinking about the strategic implications for the Western powers if the Scottish people do decide to leave the UK and strike out on their own. It would certainly mean some kind of changes to NATO, to 5 eyes, to various Western alliances, and England's position in the world. it is a different proposition arguing world politics and sending armies to Afghanistan, Iraq and such like, as a "little Englander" nation rather than the United Kingdom. One can see why Obama wants Scotland to stay as part of the UK, what with the polaris bases and storage facilities and other US listening posts based there. There are a lot of Scots wanting rid of these facilities and would rather spend the money on "proper" jobs like tourism and protecting the environment. I wonder if Obama and the NSA will offer pots of money for a new Scottish C.I.A. and NSA to work in alliance with GCHQ and the secret intelligence service. I wonder if the S.I.S. will consider us as "friendly aliens". I wonder if the S.I.S. and the security service, considers all of those who support yes and vote yes, as enemies of the state, radicals and targets of operations...

It is interesting to note, too, that the very Conservative Westminster parliament, after being very negative about the Scots being able to do without the support, expertise and money from the English parliament, that the Conservative politicians are now offering all sorts of carrots to keep the Scots in the kingdom. And this is being done...AFTER...some of the voting has already taken place. That wouldn't be allowed to happen in a UK election, yet it is being forced upon the Scots. i wonder how the Scots will react to it. The same thing happened with the Poll Tax, the Scots bore the brunt of it.

All the stops are being pulled out at Westminster, the dirty tricks are starting, and I dare say that the U.S. embassy will be sticking its oar in as well...

Maybe the Scots should use the dollar...rather than the pound...:-).
Food for thought.
P.S. I am not a nationalist, nor am I for or against independence. Just like being a member of the E.U. I don't have a clue whether it is a good or a bad thing. Personally, I think small is beautiful.