[cryptome] Re: Cryptome: Enigma Machine for Sale: $228,500

  • From: Aftermath <aftermath.thegreat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 06:57:29 -0700

Doug,

I encourage you to make a replica enigma machine. its a very cool project
to take on.

However, I dont think doing banking with an enigma machine would be very
practical.

I honestly cant tell if your comments are an attempt at humor.. How exactly
would you do banking with an enigma machine? Both parties have to have to
use the machine and both have to have the same configuration (key).

I believe that the enigma cypher is severely depreciated.

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 2:31 AM, Douglas Rankine <
douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Andrew & Aftermath,

Tx for the links. Now I have something to keep me occupied when I get
around to retiring... J. I dunno if I am so keen on those software
simulators though...too easily cracked for my liking, and the programming
allus puts me head in a muddle. I can see that there is a market for it
out there. All those disillusioned people running away from encryption
software and looking for better alternatives...

Physically building ones own though... Ideal little project, not too
costly and like going back to school, little bit of metalwork, bit of
woodwork, bit of electronic wiring, simple software...couldn’t’ t ask for
more as a computer illiterate, better than the old crystal sets. Are you
sure that it is approved by the NSA and GCHQ though? I mean, if I was to
let me missus loose on it and she had her bank and id compromised, I would
really be in deep shit.

I can see that the CIA would find it plausible, though they would probably
deny it!... J.