[cryptome] Re: Cryptome: Enigma Machine for Sale: $228,500

  • From: "Douglas Rankine" <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 09:23:14 +0100

Hi Aftermath,

I think that building my own enigma machine would be a cool project too... J.
Thank you. And for all sorts of reasons, mostly to do with my childhood
upbringing.

My reference to my wife using the Enigma machine as a suitable form of
encryption and secure form of transmission of private information and data
between her and the bank, was indeed meant as a joke. I was trying to
communicate that encryption as a method of secure communications is in the same
bind in todays world of “advanced” communications, with software programs and
emulations, as the Enigma was with Ultra and Colossus. And...no, my wife won’t
be using enigma, to encipher her bank transactions. It is enough for us both
to use the banking system and, if they make a security mistake the government
guarantees repayment.

Unfortunately, using plain text and the email system has many shortcomings and
much can be lost in the method of communication, and it can be a great
challenge. Overcoming those limitations, even with the use of smileys and
other similar symbols can be very difficult, particularly when communications
between people are limited to the written word. We all use sound, vision, body
language and kinetic forms and senses to communicate with one another, when we
are face to face. The written word uses only one form of communication and
the other cues are missing.

Also, though some humour is universal, i.e. a joke which will make everyone
laugh, no matter their culture, age, or upbringing. It is only the great
comics like Charlie Chaplin who have managed to achieve this. Humour, like our
other senses is very much in the perceptions of the beholder, whether it be
ear, or eye, or a good tickle... J. Humour can also be ethnic or cultural, or
regional, or group based. The difference between Japanese and Jewish, or
Scottish and English, or sailors and electricians. Also, there are some people
who have various forms of autism who find it difficult to decide, through no
fault of their own, whether something is or someone is being humorous or
straight.

Do you like Charlie Chaplin? Watching someone slipping on a banana skin is an
example of what makes some people laugh, yet, some people don’t find it funny
at all; after all the consequences of doing so could be quite devastating for
the victim... J.

P.S. There are plenty of people and organisations in the world who still can’t
decipher encrypted data from an enigma machine...if only because they don’t
need to, don’t have one...and therefore don’t have the facilities and know how
to do so.