[cryptome] Buying a A New Laptop?

  • From: "Douglas Rankine" <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 12:42:24 -0000

Dear Colleagues,

As you know, I have had two laptops go down the pan in the last week or so,
so I am looking around the market at new and second hand ones.  I am also
looking for a new one for me missus as she has a big birthday coming up.
My lad recommended a Lenovo, a 13" job, with a touch screen and a physical
keyboard, which would be ideal for her...at the right price.    I had a
look,

See url:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/lenovo-yoga-3
-11-6-2-in-1-silver-10108711-pdt.htm

but as I was checking it out, I discovered that there are supposed to be
some security concerns.  For instance there is a story that our most
respected security and intelligence services, don't recommend them because
of hardware and software "back doors" being inserted in them so that the
Chinese government can keep tabs on the users...(they are made in China by a
Chinese Company owned by the Chinese Academy of Sciences, apparently) I
don't know how true this is and whether the NSA would prefer us westerners
to purchase US ones with "western"  back doors in them...or whether it is
just a rumour.

See url:
http://www.geek.com/chips/spy-agencies-shun-lenovo-finding-backdoors-built-i
nto-the-hardware-1563801/

I already have a Samsung smart tv which is supposed to have spyware on it.
I didn't find out until after I bought it and I don't know if it has...or if
it has, how to get rid of it.  Apparently, "anonymous" user information is
being  collected for marketing purposes, and is completely harmless... J.  I
didn't buy a tv to be spied on without my permission, but there you are,
such is the honesty and integrity of democratic, liberal capitalism.  We
even have to purchase our spyware these days....it is becoming
mandatory...like a television license.

So, anyone got any ideas on how I should proceed, any recommendations, will
be most welcome... J.