[cryptome] Re: Buying a A New Laptop?

  • From: John Young <jya@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 10:46:07 -0400

After an early adoption of IBM products we use several Lenovo
devices, desktop and laptop, monitors, external drives, peripherals.
Tried others, Apple, HP, Sony, generics, homemade, stolen, borrowed,
coffee shop, university and public libraries, various operating systems,
wired and wireless (our own and stolen/borrowed/public signals),
slew of comsec measures -- encryption, TEMPEST, sneaker, over
the transom and as ever stolen/borrowed/public -- then cooked up
a few weird attempts at avoiding all informed therefore treacherous
advice as highly recommended by professional traitors and profiteering
disaster predictors -- Schneier, EFF, ACLU, Snowden, WikiLeaks,
Cryptome (oops) -- and settled into constant paranoia and paralysis,
unhooked, unplugged and shuttered everything, switched off electricity,
water, gas, sewer, air, light, human contact, avoided mirrors, constructed
a reinforced conrete boat and sealed the family inside, rigged to dump
itself into the Hudson River upon by a timer for floating out into the
Atlantic. We figure we're near either Finland or Patagonia based on
chill factor and squeaks from the steel rebars rusting away emitting
extra quiet nuclear boomer signals which have attacted frogmen from
the world's nations to drum Morse Code on our topside warning high
noon is nigh assuring us Schneier never sleeps.

At 10:12 AM 3/15/2015, you wrote:
This thing below is also Chinese, but 100% free.Â
<http://www.lemote.com/en/products/Notebook/2010/0310/112.html>http://www.lemote.com/en/products/Notebook/2010/0310/112.html

Dear Colleagues,

As you know, I have had two laptops go down the pan in the last week or so, so I am looking around the market at new and second hand ones. I am also looking for a new one for me missus as she has a big birthday coming up.   My lad recommended a Lenovo, a 13” job, with a touch screen and a physical keyboard, which would be ideal for her...at the right price.   I had a look,

See url: <http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/lenovo-yoga-3-11-6-2-in-1-silver-10108711-pdt.htm>http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/lenovo-yoga-3-11-6-2-in-1-silver-10108711-pdt.htm

but as I was checking it out, I discovered that there are supposed to be some security concerns. For instance there is a story that our most respected security and intelligence services, don’t recommend them because of hardware and software “back doors” being inserted in them so that the Chinese government can keep tabs on the users...(they are made in China by a Chinese Company owned by the Chinese Academy of Sciences, apparently) I don’t know how true this is and whether the NSA would prefer us westerners to purchase US ones with “western” back doors in them...or whether it is just a rumour.

See url: <http://www.geek.com/chips/spy-agencies-shun-lenovo-finding-backdoors-built-into-the-hardware-1563801/>http://www.geek.com/chips/spy-agencies-shun-lenovo-finding-backdoors-built-into-the-hardware-1563801/

I already have a Samsung smart tv which is supposed to have spyware on it. I didn’t find out until after I bought it and I don’t know if it has...or if it has, how to get rid of it. Apparently, “anonymous” user information is being  collected for marketing purposes, and is completely harmless... J. I didn’t buy a tv to be spied on without my permission, but there you are, such is the honesty and integrity of democratic, liberal capitalism. We even have to purchase our spyware these days....it is becoming mandatory...like a television license.

So, anyone got any ideas on how I should proceed, any recommendations, will be most welcome... J.