Re: [cpsig] Economics of replacing steam

  • From: "Doug Cummings" <DougCummings@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 17:36:25 -0800

Theoretically a steam engine has no limit on the amount of horsepower it can generate. In practicality the limit is the amount of steam the boiler can produce. Hence a typical rating for a steam engine was boiler horsepower rather than draw bar horse power.

--This can go on forever. At speed a steam locomotive can develop tremendous horsepower and move a lot of tonnage and use just about no water or fuel doing it. I've ridden steam locomotives at speed with little more than a spot fire and the cutoff set at perhaps 5 percent or less and we clipped off mile after mile burning very little fuel and using hardly any water. We also managed to cook our own meals and make coffee without the need for a microwave oven or a hot plate.

Diesels doing the same work would be at notch 8 and burning fuel like it was going out of style.

Doug