[CTS] Re: dell laptop reload question

  • From: Hal <hdbrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 09:16:54 -0500

I've seen this with just about everything but Dell. Just bought a new laptop for the office and it came with a restore CD. I do think they keep an image on the computer as well, but I think this is more for instant repair of system problems.

I *always image the system once its set up anyway. Makes life so much easier if there is a problem later.

Back in the day, and you probably did this too, I used to xcopy everything to a partition on the HD and install from there. With Win 95/98 it was much easier to install software, or run file utilities. This way you didn't have to pull out the CD every time you wanted to check system files, or for that matter do a reinstall. Also, the installation was mucho faster. But then the entire system was less than 100MB if I remember right.

On 12/30/2005 8:57 AM, Russ Blakeman duly noted:

Most machines now out of the box have the restore partition, some have a program to make your own restore or XP cd from an image - a lot like the 286 and 386 era when they (mostly Packard Bell then) told you to run a batch file with 12 or so floppies to make a restore set before getting into use of the machine - no one ever did or they lost/damaged the floppies and were unable to restore anyway.
Even some white box builders are imaging the OS int he partition and including a CD burner and putting a sticker on that you have to have X number of 700 mb CDR disks to make a restoration set. I think if it has a valid COA, printed EULA and you paid for the machine with an OS that a factory MS CD is in order to be included, plus installation CDs for the bundled software