[CTS] Re: dell laptop reload question

  • From: "Russ Blakeman" <rhb57@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 07:57:06 -0600

Most machines now out of the box have the restore partition, some have a
program to make your own restore or XP cd from an image - a lot like the 286
and 386 era when they (mostly Packard Bell then) told you to run a batch
file with 12 or so floppies to make a restore set before getting into use of
the machine - no one ever did or they lost/damaged the floppies and were
unable to restore anyway.

Even some white box builders are imaging the OS int he partition and
including a CD burner and putting a sticker on that you have to have X
number of 700 mb CDR disks to make a restoration set. I think if it has a
valid COA, printed EULA and you paid for the machine with an OS that a
factory MS CD is in order to be included, plus installation CDs for the
bundled software