[CTS] Re: Removing vidoe card drivers..

  • From: "Bruce Eddy" <beddy1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:12:01 -0400

For what it's worth....
I have to agree Hal. I do that all the time. Generally, if the device isn't
present, the driver doesn't load. And if, for whatever reason, you need to
Windows doesn't 'see' the video device, it loads the generic VGA driver,
unless it already has a driver for the new card. And sometimes, you install
the driver CD, then reboot, and install the new video card between the
reboot.. Sometimes you let windows search for the driver on the CD on the
start up. and sometimes you say no when Windows asks to search for the new
driver...then you run the driver CD after the boot is finished...bottom
line, just follow the instructions with the device. And unless there's a
specific uninstall for the drivers showing in Add/Remove Programs, I never
worry about uninstalling drivers. In the 11 years I've been doing this I can
only remember 1 incident where I had a problem with a card/driver. And that
was maybe 8 or 9 years ago on some pretty ancient Diamond Stealth hardware.
My ever so humble opinion, Follow the installation instructions for the new
card and don't' worry about the old driver.

HTH,
Bruce