[CTS] Re: Removing vidoe card drivers..

  • From: Cuffy <cuffy10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:09:41 -0700

My first reply to this post...............
Video drivers can be fun. Remove the driver in use by your card.
Install the MS default VGA  drivers from Windows
Install the new card.
Reboot

""""""There should be some very specific instructions for the new card and the shortest way home is to follow them to the letter""""""".

I dug up the manual for an ATI card......
The reason I made the remark about installing a VGA driver.........

>>>Windows 98 users only: Some Windows 98 users may need to install the Standard PCI Graphics Adapter
<<<<<<<<<<<<one or two times prior to installing the drivers for your new graphics card>>>>>>>>> depending on the model of the
video card and your system configuration. To do these you will need to follow this process:
a. When prompted to install the Standard PCI Graphics Adapter, click Next<<<<
If you don't remove the old driver you may have to install the PCI VGA driver more than one or two times..... it might take all day ??????????????

And yes, I see where it says Win98. I didn't know what OS was involved and I was working from memory......... I didn't find the Win98 until I dug up the old pdf manual and slogged throuigh it.
I have installed at least three AGP cards in the last couple of years where you had to get the old card working on VGA before you installed the new card.
Yesterday my advice was RTFM.
Today my advice is RTFM.....
Tomorrow I'll remind you to RTFM.
I think I stated that quite clearly in the first paragraph of my first response !!!!!!

and your advice;

just follow the instructions with the device

and:   Follow the installation instructions for the new

card and don't' worry

Very professional !

My sentiments exactly.

Bruce Eddy wrote:

For what it's worth....
...bottom
line, just follow the instructions with the device. And unless there's a
specific uninstall for the drivers showing in Add/Remove Programs, I never
worry about uninstalling drivers. My ever so humble opinion, Follow the installation instructions for the new
card and don't' worry about the old driver.

HTH,
Bruce