[CTS] Re: Cable Tidy

  • From: "Russ Blakeman" <rhb57@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:01:40 -0500

I have 5 or 6 of them but when we got the C and K rations back in the 70's
(obviously old stock but still good) in the pre-MRE days they had P-38's
with them but were blued (black, dull) and VERY strong. The bluing is still
on all of them and I too had one on my ring until I got tired of wearing
holes in my pants with it. Rare that I use one - have one in the truck's
glovebox just in case and the others in storage now. I have one 1950's one
that my dad got back when he was in Germany in Signal Corps in the Black
Forest but it's been sealed away from the elements basically because it's
just memorabilia like all of his other military ribbons, chevrons, unit pins
including one with flying dragon with phrase 1-2-3-go on one of them (assume
123rd??) - before he lucked out and went to Sig Corps, and other schtuff are
all in a vacuum sealed bag.

The P-38's have been made by every dog and his brother since the
originals came out.
I have one on my key ring that's over 50 yrs old and another one
ratholed in case this one wears out ! They are made of a high grade of
stainless and very difficlt to sharpen.
A few years ago some canning company included one of the knockoffs under
the paper wrapping on canned sardines. The sardines were inedible and
you could fold the P-38 in half with your fingers. It was good to open
one can !
I'll defy you to bend the one I have in my pocket with your bare hands.

Quality has been on the wane since about 1950 so we really can't expect
much anymore.

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm