[COMP] Re: Admin: Privacy issues

  • To: <computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 21:43:48 -0700

----- Original Message -----
#From: "John Madden" <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2000 3:49 PM
Subject: [COMP] Re: Admin: Privacy issues

> > No way around it really,
> > like you said, the best solution is to move to an account or
> > ISP that isn't spammer-friendly.
>
> Ya, but if people spamming the list directly ever got to be a problem,
> I'd just turn on the 'confirm' subscribe mode, which would force them to
> have a valid email address, and a nice way for me to track them down.

Good point.  But to play devils advocate here we both know
that spammers aren't always entirely unsophisticated.

There is nothing stopping them from setting up a fraudulent
dialup account, implementing some already-tested scripts and
doing it from there.  They do it all the time and couldn't
care less about getting their accounts cancelled because the
account was stolen in the first place.  Easy come, easy go.

All they care about is using your bandwidth/information
(and then someone else's) without paying for it.

> > allow users managing their subscriptions via
> > the web to Check a box "Hide my email address from the
> > web archives" or somesuch and donate it to the source tree. :)
>
> This brings up an interesting idea.  First, I wonder if Listar (the
> engine) has that capability built into it.  Further though, I wonder if
> it could be done by providing complete anonymity by having all messages
> from the subscriber be posted as "Anonymous" or something.  I'll have to
> ask...

But everyone talking on a list shouldn't be anonymous.  When perusing
the headers don't you look at the name of the person who wrote it?

--
Mark (forgive me, too much coffee today, as usual)

Get computer help: http://avenir.dhs.org