[COMP] Admin: Privacy issues

  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 18:49:52 -0500

Hello,

Spam is an issue I don't take lightly-- it's a disgusting scourge, and
all cases involving Avenir Web are treated individually and dealt with
harshly.  Privacy is an important issue to me -- no one's email address,
or any other personal detail for that matter, is EVER given out, for any
reason, under any circumstances.  Subscriber lists are kept private.

I has been brought to my attention that subscribers to COMP have been
receiving increased amounts of spam over the past few weeks, some of it
due potentially (and definitely, in one case) to the mailing list
archives found at http://avenir.dhs.org/archives.  The problem is that
the software that automatically updates the archive every two hours
doesn't do anything to remove posters' email addresses from the emails
before it makes webpages out of them.

There are many benefits to having your email address left in the emails,
such as the ability of outsiders to find your issue through internet
search engines (or the one specifically for the archives) and contact
you personally with a solution.  Thus, I've done nothing to change the
archiving methods so far.

However, with the recent increase in Spam, I can see that something has
to be done.  Over the next week or so (probably mostly this weekend,
when I have more time), I'll be working with the scripts that generate
the archives to weed out all email addresses before putting posts into
HTML form.  If anyone objects to this action, or has any other ideas on
how to deal with the situation, please let me know (in fact, discussing
this on the list is probably a good idea).

I've been using my Avenir Web email account (weez) for almost a year now
(since Iname went wacky), and I have yet to receive Spam on it.  If
anyone out there is being flooded with spam, I've found that the easiest
way to get rid of it is to just move to another account.  My offer of a
free, no-quota POP account stands, and as I mentioned, I have a strict
policy on unsolicited email.

Further, if anyone has been the victim of spam that you feel is somehow
related to Avenir Web (especially with regards to the online archives),
please let me know.  Forward anything to me personally, including all
email headers that you can get from it.  I'll nuke 'em personally. :)

Thanks for your time,
  John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA