[COMP] Re: Admin: Privacy issues

  • To: <computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 15:18:00 -0700

----- Original Message -----
#From: <Rookie499@xxxxxxx>
To: <computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2000 12:06 PM
Subject: [COMP] Re: Admin: Privacy issues

> In a message dated 4/14/00 12:02:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> << And under unix, we call them
>  "scripts" because "batch file" is an insult to one's foo zen. =) >>
>
> one's "foo zen"?        I'm not even gonna go there.....

"foo" is a commonly used term to describe "whatever", basically.

> suficite to say dos uses one command interpreter, and unix uses many.
> ok, that makes sense, to execute anything one would have to have a command
> interpreter....didnt think of it that way <scratching head, taking it all
in>

Within the UNIX world this is kindof a big deal.  For example
FreeBSD uses csh (c-shell) by default at the command line.  I don't like
csh very much and prefer bash, but it's a matter of personal preference.

UNIX shell scripting is very, *very* powerful, but scripts written in bash
will not necessarily work in csh, and vice-versa.

> Ok you said "scripts" are a unix thing, there is under win9x "windows
> scripting hosts" (which I wanna do cause i can make speed disk go off at
3am-
> but someone still has to hit enter to actually make it run)
> AND mirc clients are called scripts.....now Im a little confused...

Scripts normally refer to a language which is not compiled.  C or C++
are examples of a compiled language.  You have to put the code through
a compiler in order to convert your code into a runnable set of
instructions.  With languages like perl or bash, there is what is called
an "interpreter" which looks at your code and executes the instructions
realtime.  The advantage is that programs written in scripting languages
can be developed more quickly than compiled ones.  If you have a job to
do that can easily be done in perl then you should probably do it in perl
instead of C.  Doing it with C (Interpreters themselves are usually written
in C) would take too much time and effort (this is something geeks like
to argue about all of the time).

With JavaScript etc. the interpreter is built into the browser, but
it's the same -- the browser has an interpreter built into it.  An
interpreter which was probably written in C.

> Ok- win9x uses emulators <thinking aloud> java is emulated, stuff like
that,
> there is C and mircosoft's version of C, those are emulations of the "real
> thing" that will run under win9x?
> Is that what scripts are/do under win9x?
> or am I way off base here.

Java is an interpreted language, but it kindof stands between compiled
and interpreted languages.  What java has done is make the code
"bytecompiled",
meaning that your code is compiled in order to make it faster.  They needed
to do this because of the amount of functionality included within the java
language.  Java provides a tremendously rich set of functions and is really
fun to program.  But java is too powerful for Microsoft's taste (you can
apparently write entire OSes with it) so they intentionally broke the code
in their development tools.  A lawsuit ensued, a lawsuit which is a part of
the current DOJ case.

--
Mark

Get computer help: http://avenir.dhs.org