[COMP] Re: Admin: Privacy issues

  • To: <computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 13:12:12 -0700

----- Original Message -----
#From: "John Madden" <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2000 4:49 PM
Subject: [COMP] Admin: Privacy issues

> I'll be working with the scripts that generate
> the archives to weed out all email addresses before putting posts into
> HTML form.  If anyone objects to this action, or has any other ideas on
> how to deal with the situation, please let me know (in fact, discussing
> this on the list is probably a good idea).

I don't think you should do it.  Better ways to deal
with this imho.

> I've been using my Avenir Web email account (weez) for almost a year now
> (since Iname went wacky), and I have yet to receive Spam on it.  If
> anyone out there is being flooded with spam, I've found that the easiest
> way to get rid of it is to just move to another account.  My offer of a
> free, no-quota POP account stands, and as I mentioned, I have a strict
> policy on unsolicited email.

Think this is a much better way because now the spammer
has to get through avenir in order to do the deed.  Besides,
if anyone wanted to spam the entire list all they have to do
is subscribe and post their spam.  No way around it really,
like you said, the best solution is to move to an account or
ISP that isn't spammer-friendly.

As an afterthought, have you considered using the GNU
mailing list manager? http://www.list.org ... if it isn't
already implemented you could write a little function
which would allow users managing their subscriptions via
the web to Check a box "Hide my email address from the
web archives" or somesuch and donate it to the source tree. :)

--
Mark

Get computer help: http://avenir.dhs.org