[COMP] NIS user authentication

  • To: <computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:03:38 -0700

Hi, hopefully someone here can help me out, I've
been struggling with this one for a few hours now:

I am trying to get a FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE (GENERIC)
box working as an NIS client with a Debian 2.2 frozen
(current as of about five minutes) as the master.

I know that the Debian box is OK because it is already
working with other Debian clients, and I'm almost positive
the FreeBSD box is properly configured (as far as the
networking goes) because I can do "ypmatch username passwd"
on the FreeBSD machine and it gets the correct information.
BUT users coming from Linux to FreeBSD are not being authenticated.

I'm thinking that it is the crypto libraries ... ?

At this point I'm ready to give up and replace the FreeBSD
box with Debian so I can get on with it, but I was wondering
if anyone else has been successful is doing this?

Perhaps there is a way to make NIS use some other form of
authentication?  PAM?

Wow.  I'm in *WAY* over my head here.

--
Mark

---
When a man calls an animal "vicious", he usually means that it
will attempt to defend itself when he tries to kill it.
---

Get computer help: http://avenir.dhs.org