[CoMoDev] Re: Mapping software

  • From: "dick_grier Grier" <dick_grier@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:52:57 -0600

Hi David,

You say Pepperwhite Street is agnostic when used as a server.  Hmmm.  So... do
I take it you are installing an ActiveX plugin in IE to accomplish this over
the Internet?  I'm not finding any info about this on their site or in the eval
that I just installed.  My client provides the customers with a hosted solution
so running off a LAN is not an option, AFAIK.
<<

What I meant by "agnostic" is that you can write (or use) a web service that
employs the ActiveX control (not IE, I think, because you have no good way to
reference the map data which would be on the server -- IE cannot consume a web
service by itself).  My assumption is that they have a mechanism to convert map
data (images) to SOAP, so that it may be consumed remotely, by a "smart client"
application.

Since it is LBS, the only place the maps need be displayed, if I understand
what needs be done, is on the application that is running at the server?
That's where the use want the map, not in the vehicle.  So, while PepperWhite
advertises a web service (and you are right, there is no info on how that is
done), we don't need a web service, only a Windows application.

If you want to use the maps in the vehicle, then the web service would come
into play (but this is not what I'd do, even there).  Personally, I'd just
write an application in the vehicle that displays the vehicle location on the
map, a la MapPoint.

Dick

Richard Grier (Microsoft MVP - Visual Basic)
Hard & Software
12962 West Louisiana Avenue
Lakewood, CO  80228
303-986-2179 (voice)
303-593-9315 (fax)

Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 4th Edition
ISBN 1-890422-28-2 (391 pages) published July 2004. For faster service, contact
the publisher at http://www.mabry.com/vbpgser4<http://www.mabry.com/vbpgser4>.