[CoMoDev] Re: Mapping software

  • From: "dick_grier Grier" <dick_grier@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 18:33:52 -0600

Hi David,

I see.  It's still a problem of development cost vs. return.  BTW, the
Pepperwhite Street (solution?) is agnostic, when used as a server.  Naturally,
this is something that you cannot do, legally, with the MapPoint desktop
product -- though from a programming standpoint it is comparatively simple.

One of the nice things about Pepperwhite is that I "think" the license allows
you to use a single copy (about $500) for LBS.  You have to develop the backend
vehicle tracking, which actually is pretty simple if the vehicles are
"connected."  The real question is, "Does it provide the features that you
need."  They have a demo version, so it may be possible to test that part
without any more investment than time.

Dick

Richard Grier (Microsoft MVP - Visual Basic)
Hard & Software
12962 West Louisiana Avenue
Lakewood, CO  80228
303-986-2179 (voice)
303-593-9315 (fax)

Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 4th Edition
ISBN 1-890422-28-2 (391 pages) published July 2004. For faster service, contact
the publisher at http://www.mabry.com/vbpgser4<http://www.mabry.com/vbpgser4>.