[CoMoDev] Re: Mapping software

  • From: "dick_grier Grier" <dick_grier@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:56:32 -0600

Hi Jeff,

If these guys want to view maps on their
intranet/corporate LAN, Mappoint desktop is
legal. Gotta buy a license for each browser that
will look at the maps and a license for the
server. Of course this kind of setup is a
nightmare for the MicroSoft EULA police and is SO
easy to abuse.
<<

Actually, it may or may not be.  Real-time vehicle fleet management and
tracking is excluded in the EULA, AFAIK.  You can use the maps for asset
tracking, personal tracking, etc., but not for fleets.  I think I have this
correct, but MapPoint licensing is a little dense.

Dick

Richard Grier (Microsoft MVP - Visual Basic)
Hard & Software
12962 West Louisiana Avenue
Lakewood, CO  80228
303-986-2179 (voice)
303-593-9315 (fax)

Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 4th Edition
ISBN 1-890422-28-2 (391 pages) published July 2004. For faster service, contact
the publisher at http://www.mabry.com/vbpgser4<http://www.mabry.com/vbpgser4>.