[citansdnd] Re: D&D Essentials update (part 1)

  • From: Steve Bartalamay <lanzlo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citansdnd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 15:22:34 -0700

OK, I think you mis-interprited what I meant there. My thought is that Common
items would be available anywhere. Go to some podunct village out in the middle
of nowhere, and the local Hedge Wizard would most likely be able to sell you a
few healing potions, and maybe a +x enchant on an item of your choice. Anything
more 'specialized,' like a Pact Sword, would be out of his ability to provide;
for that, you'd have to go to a larger town. One with actual walls, and several
wizards selling items; if one doesn't have it, or can make it, he most likely
will know somewhere to get it.

On Sep 13, 2010, at 3:11 PM, marbleminotaur@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I doubt they'd mess with the estabilshed economy like that, seeing as it
> would negate the entire chapter on Treasure parcels in the DMGs and render
> both Adventurer's Vaults as useful as two hardback paperweights. What's been
> established, and has been written in many places is that "Common" Items are
> your basic +X Enhancement bonus Magic Items. They *might* tweak the prices of
> those, but it's unlikely. Uncommons are anything that aren't your standard +X
> Enhancement bonus magic items and I'm guessing those are going to be entirely
> untouched except for a shiny new "Uncommon" sticker attached to them. Rares
> are probably a few choice older Magic Items from the past (My bet is that
> they make the Holy Avenger a Rare) and new stuff we haven't seen yet.
>
> On the topic of items being "out of reach" for certain levels, that's already
> a core rule. It's been a core rule since day one. Items have levels, and the
> great majority of the time they're handed out at the GMs discretion ANYWAY.
> Overhauling the system would be ridiculously game changing at this point, and
> they would have told us this from the moment "Essentials" left Wizards'
> mouth. They won't be changing the already established Magic Item structure
> they've already built. A "Rare" Level 6 Magic Item will still be worth the
> same as an "Uncommon" Level 6 Item, they'll just be given to the players at
> the discretion of the GM as the only difference in availability. My guess is
> that there will be extremely few Magic Items given the label of "Rare". After
> all is said and done, I forsee maybe 10% of the entire collection of Magic
> Items released over the years being "Rare". I'm also going to guess that a
> great majority of the Rare items will be released as DDI exclusives, since
> that's how Wizards likes to roll when they do things like this. Just
> speculation here based on track records though.
>
> Another reason I highly doubt that Uncommons will be barred from purchase or
> creation is that if that is the case... then what's the purpose of even
> having "Rare" as a tier of item? They'd be absolutely identical. No, what I'm
> seeing is this whole Common/Uncommon/Rare debacle is just a fancy painted
> guideline meant to make handing out treasure easier on the GM. Just like how
> all the new class builds in Essentials seem to be tooled more towards making
> things easier for new players, it's only natural to think that they'd do the
> same sorts of things for new GMs.

"Laugh…and the world laughs with you. Laugh hysterically, for no apparent
reason, and they’ll leave you alone."

Steve Bartalamay
lanzlo@xxxxxxxxxxx