[citansdnd] Re: D&D Essentials update (part 1)

  • From: Steve Bartalamay <lanzlo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citansdnd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 21:38:40 -0700

OK, I just picked this up, and I was right. Let me quote directly from the book:

"Rarity A magic item's rarity indicates how easy it is to obtain in the
Dungeons and Dragons world.

Common magic items are the sort that the most advanced dwarf smiths and elf
weavers create in their workshops. These are generally simple, often having
only a single special property: a bonus to certain skill checks or attacks,
enhanced effects on a critical hit, and so on.
Adventurers can purchase these common magic items just as they can buy mundane
equipment, though few shops or bazaars routinely sell them. Some fantastic
locales, such as the legendary City of Brass in the heart of the Elemental
Chaos, have such markets, but those are the exception rather than the rule.
Adventurers must usually seek out the artisans who create common magic items,
though they are not too difficult to find. In most situations--particularly
with a little free time to spend--adventurers can buy any common magic item
they can afford without the shopping trip becoming an adventure in it's own
right.

Uncommon and rare magic items are not normally created in the current age of
the world. These items were crafted in the distance past, some even during the
Dawn War, and the techniques for their creation have been lost to the ravages
of time. Now they are found only as part of treasure hoards in ancient ruins
and dangerous dungeons. Uncommon items are more complicated and potent than
common items, though they usually carry a single property, a single power, or
one of each. Rare items are even more complex and wondrous, frequently having
multiple properties or powers. Such a marvelous possession can help define a
character's identity."

There you go. Also, the resell value of the three tiers is as Matt said: Common
resells at 20%, Uncommon at 50%, and rare at 100% purchase value.