[citansdnd] Re: D&D Essentials update (part 1)

  • From: Steve Bartalamay <lanzlo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citansdnd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 14:28:40 -0700

My thoughts on this are that Common items can be bought as a starting
character, if you can afford them. Uncommon items will be out of reach from the
lower levels (probably until 5 or so... don't hold me to that...) but are
available if you're creating, say, a 7th level character; you could still find
them for sale in an ongoing game, if you look. Rare items would only be in the
hands of the GM, to hand out as he sees fit.

It appears that Commons would be dirt cheep because they're useful and
plentiful. Uncommons would be more specialized adventuring equipment. Rares
would be more along the line of "Oh my god! I can't believe I just found this!
This rocks!"

On Sep 13, 2010, at 2:14 PM, marbleminotaur@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm pretty sure the article at critical hits is what they're going to do. The
> only information that mentioned Uncommon Items not being able to be bought or
> made was a Twitter post that was made BEFORE the critical hits article, and
> we all know Twitter's about as reliable a source of information as The World
> Weekly News. My hard money's on Uncommons being able to be bought and made,
> otherwise how the Hell would you be able to create higher levelled characters?
>
> Any other information I found either didn't say specifically or was hear-say.
> Good lord the Wizard forums was all in a panic with no hard facts at all,
> just people jumping to the worst possible conclusions. The Critical Hits
> article is the only place that seemed to break it down and address the issue,
> and seeing as it was an article written AT THE CONVENTION ITSELF I trust them
> to get their damn facts straight. Even after the guy posted the article, they
> were still freaking out for THIRTY SOME PAGES about the earlier Twitter post
> as if it were the be-all, end-all to the argument when we'd JUST been given
> something reliable stating the CONTRARY.
> Seriously, people need to stop worrying about Essentials. They're not going
> to do anything that outlandish, and I KNOW they won't. It'd be too game
> changing and blatantly contradicts what has already been established about
> the line from reliable sources. It's not like the designers are twirling
> handlebar mustaches and devising evil plans to catch Penelope Pitstop and
> pull a fast one on the people who play their game. You honestly expect me to
> believe that they're deliberately pumping out false information to the press
> so they can leap out and go "HA HA! WE SURE FOOLED YOU! HA HA!" when we
> finally get Essentials on the shelves and realise all the information we've
> been given was a lie? Wizards would be FINISHED.

"Laugh…and the world laughs with you. Laugh hysterically, for no apparent
reason, and they’ll leave you alone."

Steve Bartalamay
lanzlo@xxxxxxxxxxx