[citansdnd] Re: D&D Essentials update (part 1)

  • From: marbleminotaur@xxxxxxx
  • To: citansdnd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 18:11:13 -0400 (EDT)

I doubt they'd mess with the estabilshed economy like that, seeing as it would
negate the entire chapter on Treasure parcels in the DMGs and render both
Adventurer's Vaults as useful as two hardback paperweights. What's been
established, and has been written in many places is that "Common" Items are
your basic +X Enhancement bonus Magic Items. They *might* tweak the prices of
those, but it's unlikely. Uncommons are anything that aren't your standard +X
Enhancement bonus magic items and I'm guessing those are going to be entirely
untouched except for a shiny new "Uncommon" sticker attached to them. Rares are
probably a few choice older Magic Items from the past (My bet is that they make
the Holy Avenger a Rare) and new stuff we haven't seen yet.

On the topic of items being "out of reach" for certain levels, that's already a
core rule. It's been a core rule since day one. Items have levels, and the
great majority of the time they're handed out at the GMs discretion ANYWAY.
Overhauling the system would be ridiculously game changing at this point, and
they would have told us this from the moment "Essentials" left Wizards' mouth.
They won't be changing the already established Magic Item structure they've
already built. A "Rare" Level 6 Magic Item will still be worth the same as an
"Uncommon" Level 6 Item, they'll just be given to the players at the discretion
of the GM as the only difference in availability. My guess is that there will
be extremely few Magic Items given the label of "Rare". After all is said and
done, I forsee maybe 10% of the entire collection of Magic Items released over
the years being "Rare". I'm also going to guess that a great majority of the
Rare items will be released as DDI exclusives, since that's how Wizards likes
to roll when they do things like this. Just speculation here based on track
records though.

Another reason I highly doubt that Uncommons will be barred from purchase or
creation is that if that is the case... then what's the purpose of even having
"Rare" as a tier of item? They'd be absolutely identical. No, what I'm seeing
is this whole Common/Uncommon/Rare debacle is just a fancy painted guideline
meant to make handing out treasure easier on the GM. Just like how all the new
class builds in Essentials seem to be tooled more towards making things easier
for new players, it's only natural to think that they'd do the same sorts of
things for new GMs.