[cad-linux] Re: editing with this file format

  • From: phrostie <pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 15:44:36 -0400

On Sunday 07 September 2003 14:54, you wrote:
> I've just read http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch01s06.html
> and I wanted to make some corrections :)

ok, i guess it's my turn to jump in.
i'm a firm beleaver in the Unix Philosophy.  i have discussed with several
people the possibility of using the "UNIX" approach to a cad system.
where my idea seems to split off is how the "one tool for one job" should be
implimented.

it seems to me that many different OpenFormats already exist.
OpenInventor                    iv
Renderman Interface Bitstream           rib
OpenCascade                     ?
Drawing eXchange Format         dxf

and the list goes on.

in engineering the two major data types are 2D and 3D.

the 3D geometry is used to model and define the intended end result.  this is
true whether it is a forging, sheetmetal, or a building.
this is where formats like iv and rib are good

formats like dxf although 3d are better suited for 2D and Drawings.

why not make a link between the two?

--
Oh i've slipped the surly bonds of DOS
//www.freelists.org/webpage/cad-linux